Monday, March 5, 2012

Necessity is certainly the mother...

...of all inventions! I wanted something that could make foot rims or decorative lips on my pottery. I searched EVERYWHERE for potter's tools shaped like the ones in my mind's eye! What did I find, you ask? Nothing! So what do you do when no one will sell you what you need? Well...you make your own of course!

So I explained to dad what I was looking for expecting to whittle myself a tool from a Popsicle stick and sandpaper...but NO!! (not in this family!!) ha! It never hurts to have a family full of eccentric "junk" collectors! Between dad's accumulation of gadgets and my grandfather's collection of oddities there's probably a tool to do just about anything you can dream up! Anyway, back to the story...

I had a lesson in milling machines, lathes, bandsaws, belt sanders, and even a drill press...I mean who has their own milling machine? Really?

The result? Two amazing little tools that have added a little flair to the foot of each pot! I think they will be put to great use! Thanks for the "shop class" dad...glad we both still have all our fingers!
my what a lovely foot you have...

No comments:

Post a Comment